- Lesson Plans
By Patricia Finn & Dr. Susan KeyGrades 9-12 / Estimated time: 40-50 minutes
Specific recommendation: AP United States History
Please view/download the lesson plan via the link in the right column.
- Compare/contrast point of view in two texts from The Crisis
- Identify how the music of “The Negro Speaks of Rivers” supports the text
Common Core Standards:
- RH.11-12.7 Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented in diverse formats and media in order to address a question or solve a problem
- RH.11-12.1 Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources, connecting insights gained from specific details to an understanding of the text as a whole.
- W.11-12.1 Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence
- 'Langston Hughes and Geography: A Poet in Time and Place' LESSON PLAN (PDF)
- 'The Crisis,' Vol. 22, No. 2 (includes "The Negro Speaks of Rivers")
- The Academy of American Poets: Reader's Guide to Langston Hughes
- Hughes's "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain" (1926)
- National Humanities Center: Race as Community